Thursday, December 16, 2010

Is it Dodge-Gumbo?

NEIL DIAMOND
Johnny Gumbo ecstatic, via email, about hero Neil Diamond's announced overdue election into the Rock 'N Roll Hall of Fame.  As I have mentioned on more than one occasion, The Reet and I attended a Neil Diamond concert with the Gumbo at the Hartford Civic Center one agonizingly long evening in the early 1990's before I knew him well enough to turn down his offer of tickets.  I'm not sure if I got one of Neil's sweaty scarves that night, but if I didn't, I was in the minority.  We did, however, have a very pleasant pre-concert meal at the old Hot Tomato's down at Union Station.   In addition to the Gumbo (or The Gumbo as he gets ready for The Ohio State University football bowl game), brothers Jim/Joe and sister-in-law Nancy have broken out the bubbly to toast Brother Love.  (Despite my sarcasm, I am a big fan of Diamond's early music.  I will continue to pass on experiencing him in the flesh).  My top five Neil Diamond songs:
  1. Red Red Wine (a big hit for UB40)
  2. Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show
  3. Cherry, Cherry
  4. I'm a Believer (a hit for the Monkees)
  5. Sweet Caroline (if you can get by the fact it was written about a pre-teen Caroline Kennedy)

TOM WAITS
I, on the other hand, raise my glass to this gentleman's deserving, yet surprising, election (I LOVE this song): 

No comments: