Thursday, December 02, 2010

G-Man on Dylan at Foxwoods...

(Excerpt from Daily Nuggets)...I think back to the 60s...man...and when Dylan first revealed his work...People must have felt like that lyric - "Something is happening here, but you don't know what it is"...My father recalled the first time he heard Subterranean Homesick Blues on the radio...He hadn't heard anything like it before, didn't know if he even liked it, but couldn't look away...It seems that is the common equation with Dylan...Everyone has their opinions on what he's doing, or what he should be doing...but whatever he does, most still can't look away...And, to get myself off the hook of being one of those writers that uses a Dylan lyric to end oh-so cleverly, I will end with one of my own...I saw a Dylan interview from sometime in the 60s, and when asked for an autograph he said, "I'd give it to you, but you don't need it"...And so, I wrote:


Hey, Mr. Dylan...
A...hey, Mr. Dylan...
No...a...I don't need an autograph
But I wouldn't mind sharing a laugh
Imagine that
Making him laugh
I'd put that on my resume
Above my GPA...
And the influence of Dylan becomes osmosis
And from Robert Johnson to John Anthony Gillis
become the bookends of my musical collection
And this
Well this
This is the greatest song ever written
Since Bob Dylan wrote "Like A Rolling Stone"
However, that is the past
Let us move on
It's "Blowing in the Wind"
So I try to breathe peacefully
While some say I speak cynically
I promise I'll live respectively
So clap with me
Because this is music
So write with me
Because this is reality...

2 comments:

Max said...

Nice work on the poem Johnny!

(Just dropping by; found you via Ariel Publicity a mth ago...)

And given the Sotheby's auction, maybe I should keep all of my grotty old lyrics & ideas sheets!

Best, - Max
(Australia)

Johnnyk said...

Thanks, Max, for looking in, but I can't take credit for the poem. It's from my son's blog, Daily Nuggets. He also attended the Dylan concert.