Monday, October 03, 2011

Pimping Sarah....

Sarah Borges: Let's Make A Record!

So I'm making a solo record! Not a 'girl with a guitar sings confessional songs' kind of solo record. 

I promise not to play any twee piano. It will be a record that sounds like me. For those of you who have been to a show, you know what that means. I'm 33, and this is not my first time at the dance, so it will be a little brassy, kind of pretty, and hopefully a lot fun. Like what?, you may ask...Well. First, a great studio record with great musicians produced by Steve Berlin from Los Lobos, for starters. I'm guessing that I need $15,000 to make this thing go. I'm going to try to do it in 60 days. That seems like a lot, you may say. Here's the stuff we've got to do: pay for the studio and an engineer, mixing and mastering, artwork and duplication, give the musicians something for their time and effort, etc. So...

Here's what I'm gonna do:

If you give $25:
I'll give you a copy of the record, a download of a demo of 'Big Bright Sun', one of the songs on said record, and some fabulous stickers to decorate your guitar case, briefcase or head case.
If you give $60:
Copy of the record, download of 'Big Bright Sun', stickers, I'll record the voicemail for your phone or cell phone (I can sing it if you want!), and I'll send you a lovely thank you note expressing my gratitude.  I'll also send you a fabulous t-shirt available only to folks who contribute to the making of the record, specially created and personalized just for you!

If you give $120:
Everything from the previous levels, plus downloads of two other record demos ('Record on Repeat', written by me, Lyle Brewer and Ryan Hedgecock from Lone Justice!, and 'Mind on Me', written by me and Freedy Johnston! (you can even hear me play kick drum and bass on it!), a special mix cd made for you by me like we're dating in 8th grade AND a guest list spot for you and a friend to any show of mine you'd like
If you give $250:
Everything listed above is yours, plus I will make you a piece of artwork. No, it won't be a stick figure drawing. Here's a photo of a cigar box I made recently. I don't totally suck. And I will sign and inscribe it to you and only you.
If you give $500:
All of the above, AND I will learn a song of your choosing (it doesn't have to be by me) and record it acoustically for you. I will also somehow incorporate your name into the album artwork (in an artful way) of the new record.
If you give $1250:  
You get everything previously listed AND I will come to your house and play a solo house concert for you where you pick the set list from my songs. How fun! (You need to live in New England or New York for this one).-OR-You get everything previously listed AND you can pick the set list for a show I play. (You can live anywhere for this one.) It has to consist primarily of my songs or songs I've covered in the past, but you can pick  one song just for you even if it is 'Freebird'. And you can get onstage and sing/play it. Risky for me, I know, but my love for my art has no limit. I jest.
If you give $2000:
Ok, deep breath...everything above but the house concert, and I will custom write a song for you. You could use this opportunity to propose to your girl/boyfriend, to break up with that girl/boyfriend, to tell your boss you quit. Hell, you could even profess your love for manicotti. Whatever you'd like.

If you give $3000:
All above (minus that house concert), PLUS I will give you my first electric guitar. It's a 1970's Guild M-75 Songbird, burgundy red. It has a tune-o-matic bridge sunken into the body that I had done custom. It's made of mahogany and weighs a ton. Comes with a case. I bought it off a guy when I was 17 from my hometown who told me that it 'wasn't metal enough'. It's been stolen from me by a guy from Alabama who got caught because he was dumb enough to leave a receipt from Guitar Center in the case when he bought a strap after he stole it from me. He went to jail, I got the guitar back. And it can all be yours!
And finally.
If you give $5000+:   I know this is a lot of money for just a little ol' gal like me. But what if there was something that I could do that would make you really happy? (Get your minds out of the gutter people, not that happy.) It would have to be something that we could both agree on, like me officiating your wedding or something, but try me! I'm sure that we could figure out something amazing. (You'd have to email contact@sarahborges.com first to work this one out.)

Sound like a plan? Together we can make this happen! Ok, overly inspirational. But together we can at least have some fun and make some music. And that, my friends, is the reason I started doing this to begin with.

XO
SB

No comments: