Friday, October 14, 2011

Justin Townes Earle at Daniel Street in Milford on Thursday, Dec 8...

All I can say is, do not miss him this time around. (JTE at Iron Horse in August - here)

Daniel Street  provides Connecticut with an eclectic array of musical entertainment in a welcoming space. Located in the center of Milford, Connecticut's thriving night scene, DANIEL STREET is mere steps from the Metro North Train station, a short stroll from Milford Landing Marina, and easily accessible from Interstate I-95.
(AP) "I've come to the decision basically or the belief that it's just who I am," Earle said. "I'm a songwriter. I'm an artist. I am my mother's son. I am my father's son. And I'm a drug addict. And it was a behavior that I displayed very early on in my life. When I was a kid, my mom would buy granola bars and stuff and I would eat the whole box. One after the other until I was sick." His mother, Carol-Ann, had to work and the home was often empty. But there were times when it was too full as well with the occasional boyfriend. The result was the feeling that he had no safe haven. Drugs quickly became a diversion from an existence that "hurt all the time." "I remember I got high the first time when I was 10 off of reefer and I just loved it," Earle said. "By 11 I was just an avid marijuana smoker. I smoked constantly. It wasn't heroin, it was Dilaudid, the pharmaceutical pain killer, that was first thing I got my hands on. I just remember getting hit with it and it just felt like everything was just going to be OK, until of course it wore off and I was sick as (expletive) until the next morning. But even with the sickness, I wanted to go back and capture that feeling again, you know? I started to shut down at that point." His teen years flashed by, a montage of searches for drugs, living with both his mother and father at times before leaving to live on his own in his late teens. He went to Chicago at 18 and found really pure heroin for the first time in his life. He eventually had to come back home, penniless, hopelessly addicted and pretty much washed up already as a performer. He sold what he thought would be his last guitar at 20. He awoke one morning and couldn't believe what he saw in the mirror of his rundown motel room. (the whole enchilada)

1 comment:

Garrett Kennedy said...

...cool, u guys going to see him...I wanna see em again...jk was digging em too...


Also, in the weeks waiting for Oct. 25, the release of Strange Boys' "Live Music", check out Ryan Sambol solo...

http://www.roughtraderecords.com/