Tuesday, January 31, 2012

New music purchases...

It's late January.  I've gone through all the music received at Christmas at least once and I'm itching to get some new stuff.  Here's what I've come up with so far:
  • Tank Full of Blues (Dion)- This guy is no washed-up oldies act.  If you can get past his sometimes overbearing religious rants (went from sex/drugs/rockandroll to Born Again Christian back to his Roman Catholic roots), he's a very good blues artist.
  • For the Good Times (The Little Willies)- An all-covers second album (Johnny Cash, Dolly Parton, Willie Nelson, etc) for this Norah Jones side project.  Good stuff.
  • Is That You in the Blue (Dex Romweber Duo)- For some reason, I didn't pick up a copy a few months ago when we saw him at Cafe Nine, but I've got it now and I'm wearing it out.  Love this album of frenetic rockabilly and ballads!
Here's what's on my radar:
  • Let It Burn (Ruthie Foster) - New Ruthie out today!  Plans are to see her in NYC at the City Winery in March with the Pool Hall Studs.
  • Chimes of Freedom (Various Artists)- Not sure about this mega-project of Bob Dylan covers for Amnesty International; 
  • Wild Flag (Wild Flag)-  Portlandia's Carrie Brownstein fronts this new all-chick band; the album was #2 on Hartford Courant music critic Eric Danton's top ten albums of 2011.

No comments: