Tuesday, October 24, 2006

G-Man pickups and reviews.....

A quick trip by G-Man to Borders yields:

  • Moon Pix (Cat Power) - starts to show the direction she goes on her two best and lastest albums (You Are Free, 2003 and The Greatest, 2006, released while she was in rehab), both are classics...I really have to listen to Mix Poon more...AMG has this as an album pick; I suggest her latest two, but with more listen this will be a solid album

  • The Covers Record (Cat Power) - starts with decent Stones' cover(Satisfaction); good start but seems to keep same tone throughout...best at moment is the Dylan cover (Paths of Victory); however, the rest of the album is growing on me and it's Cat Power people!

  • Beggars Banquet (Rolling Stones) - Beggars Banquet after lst listen sounds just as good as Exile and Let it Bleed; however, I guess Exile remains the best almost by default because there are many more songs than both the other albums...a solid pickup though...I'm pretty excited!

  • Extraordinary Machine (Fiona Apple) - Fiona's album is aight...couple decent songs...reason I got it, saw her on TV couple times and thought it was pretty cool; thought I'd give it a try; little dissapointed but will give more listens

  • Ed. note- As you can see, we are loading up on angst-ridden songstresses (and the grizzled old geezers who prey upon them).

    1 comment:

    Anonymous said...

    well, here are the first impressions:

    Fiona's album is aight...couple decent songs...reason I got it, saw her on TV couple times and thought it was pretty cool; thought I'd give it a try; little dissapointed but will give more listens

    Rolling Stones' Beggars Banquet after lst listen sounds just as good as Exile and Let it Bleed; however, I guess Exile remains the best almost by default because there are many more songs than both the other albums...a solid pickup though...I'm pretty exciting

    And Cat Power...The Covers Record starts with decent Stones' cover(Satisfaction); good start but seems to keep same tone throughout...best at moment is the Dylan cover (Paths of Victory); however, the rest of the album is growing on me and it's Cat Power people...her Moon Pix album starts to show the direction she goes on her two best and lastest albums (You Are Free, 2003 and The Greatest, 2006, released while she was in rehab), both are classics...I really have to listen to Mix Poon more...AMG has this as an album pick; I suggest her latest two, but with more listen this will be a solid album