Thursday, September 28, 2006

Jim Kane says johnnyk's all wet on the Beach Boys....

I've been taken to task for my less-than-admiring portrayal of the current and future versions of the Beach Boys (here) by good friend and Bristol oldies guru Jim Kane:

I beg to differ! I have recently heard Mike Love's version of The Beach Boys, with Bruce Johnston, and they were great. I saw them 2 months ago at EPCOT in Orlando, and they had a huge crowd screaming with delight. Sure its not the original Beach Boys, but the songs were still great, and their performance flawless. Jim Kane
PS - I should know, I've seen the Beach Boys back in the good old days of the 60s.


Jim, I respect your opinion on this, but the few times I've seen the Beach Boys in the last 20 years (granted, not in person), Mike Love's voice was shot. And maybe it's the old John Lennon/Paul McCartney thing, I always liked Brian Wilson more. However, my real point was that the beauty of the Beach Boys was in the gorgeous harmonies of the Wilson brothers, Mike Love, Al Jardine and that does not exist anymore. The Beach Boys put out some very good, though under-appreciated product into the mid-seventies (I love the Surf's Up album), but nothing of any creative consequence since. No, NOT Kokomo! I'm not saying one can't enjoy the current group(s), but, in my humble opinion, it's not the Beach Boys.

No comments: