Thursday, August 05, 2010

Rads...

The Radiators at Mohegan Sun Wolf Den - After starting my league match with a couple pars, I turned into a bogie machine Wednesday afternoon.  Oh well, I suck.  Throw the shoes and clubs into the truck, speed  home for a quick shower, then The Reet and I are off to Uncasville to catch the Radiators' show at eight.  Well, that's my intent, The Reet is only going for the video poker.  We originally planned to meet friends on Thursday, but when I found that the Rads were here on Wednesday, Reet, we gotta go!  Thursday was the Desert Rose Band (with ex-Byrds/Buffalo Springfield/Souther Hillman Furay Band member Chris Hillman), which isn't bad.  Still, opt for the Rads.  We arrive with a few minutes to spare, but parking is a bitch.  Summer is full, we settle for Winter, at the top, but it gets us close to the Wolf Den, where I plan to get a place along the rail at the bar.  After tearful goodbyes, The Reet and I go our separate ways.  The bar is located in right-centerfield as you look out from the stage.  It's a good spot, even though you stand.  PHS Barry D said he was coming, too, but he was three foursomes behind me at golf.   I don't know where the other Stud is, perhaps on the red carpet somewhere with Mark Wahlberg for the opening of  The Other Guys.

Lots of miles on this bunch.  After a few minutes for a sound check, they're ready to go.  The almost packed crowd seems pretty familiar with the music, so we're lucky not too many of the comped 'high-losers' chose to come.   Ace in the Hole sounds great, as does a cover of Neil Diamond's Solitary Man.  Lots of (large) booty-shakin' going on.  The guy in back of me starts apologizing for spilling beer on me, saying that bitch bumped him.  No problem, pal.  After about forty-five minutes I look over toward the bar and, lo and behold, Barry D!  Hey, how long you been here?  'Bout three songs, I flew down here alone, Mark is on his way to Jersey. Hearing the Radiators tonight, I'm reminded of the old Lowell George Little Feat.  A quick encore and it's all over before 9:30.  Thought it might be a bit longer.  Call it a night.  The Reet is pissed, lost $60.

No comments: