Saturday, August 07, 2010

George and Trish at Musikfest in Bethlehem, PA....


World travelers George 'N Trish are off to Bethlehem, PA for Musikfest, which is being held from August 6-15.   On Friday night, G&T saw 2U, a U2 tribute band (but you already guessed that, didn't you). Tonight, Norah Jones.

Update from Trish:  Musikfest was much more substantial that we expected – they get about a million people each year and I think they were all there on Saturday night at the Norah Jones concert.  We had reserved seats about 3 miles back from the stage – not really but it seemed that far.  Maybe a half mile.  Anyway, they had stage screens so it was alright.  Elvis Perkins opened with his Dylanesque set – not at all Sharon’s pick of the night but I found him interesting, out there musically and lyrically, one song was something about when you die you go to Viet Nam which admittedly no one in my grouping of four “got”  - he’s a little on the dark side, ballads chock full of emotional pain but not edgy like the old Lucinda, more bluesy on some substance I have never experienced except maybe similar to one time in my life when I was feeling pretty scattered and depressed.  Anyway, in another venue I might have liked it better but as an opener for Norah with just himself and his ‘guitar from afar’, it was a bit hard to engage.  Norah was stunning in her red dress and she sounded better than ever.  I was taken in by her early stuff but she has matured a lot and has taken on more variety – I guess some might say she hasn’t decided what venue she wants to stick with but my impression was that she can go in any direction she pleases and she can make it work for her. 

No comments: