Friday, August 27, 2010

Scenes from NYC's Summer JazzFest...

G-Man & Yvette (aka We're Not John & Yoko) took in NYC's Summer JazzFest with Troy "Trombone Shorty" Andrews,  Jon Cleary, and the High & Mighty Brass Band.  Awaiting a report from G.  Thanks to Yvette for the photos.

From Daily Nuggets: 
And so, the sitting isn't worth talking about, just a reflection of life going exactly how I planned. Afterwords though, We're Not John and Yoko (my girlfriend and I) went to a concert at the South Street Seaport in Manhattan featuring John Cleary and then the new sensation Trombone Shorty...At present we are riding the train home, phone click, it's 11:44 PM and I'm racing to get today's "Morning Pages" done, yeah quotes still needed, whatever. Let's admit they have turned into, or always were, "Today's Pages", and that's fine with me as long as I get them done. The featuring artists were a suggestion by my father who had seen them at the New Orleans Jazz Festival, quote, "Something you can not miss, " said John Kennedy, my father. Phone click. 11:46 PM...still racing against time. Well, we left the concert early, so you may assume I won't highly praise. I'm not much of a reviewer, it's so hard to not sound cliche, forced and cynical. But here we, I, go...It was good, but not worth 40 bucks a ticket...which obviously leads to 80 a ticket because each person is going to drop at least 40 on booze, damn 12 dollar margaritas, but they were so good...phone click...11:49, Yvette's (Not Yoko) sleeping. John Cleary was cool. I think I asked my dad this, but is he the one singing in the movie Major League? I think he said no, but a comparison nonetheless. To me the highlight of the show was Trombone Shorty's guitarist. Shorty's band has a rock element that I didn't expect and was cool - but he lost me when he sang the Black Eyed Peas song "Let's Get It Started". And in closing, after Shorty said let's get it started, We're Not John and Yoko said, let's not, and go home, our feet killing us, sorry Dad! I would recommend seeing Cleary and Trombone Shorty though, but not for 40 bucks, really 80 bucks...and hey, Garrett, let's get it started with these "Morning Pages" a little earlier tomorrow, say, in the morning.

No comments: