Friday, February 09, 2007

So I was dancing in the lesbian bar, oh, oh, oh......

Concert report from G-Man...

Last Saturday I went to see Jonathan Richman at the Knitting Factory in NYC. It has taken a week to write this and that’s the kind of effect the performance had on me. I was entertainted, but saw more of a comedian than a musician…don’t jump to conclusions on me yet though…I enjoyed myself…The Knitting Factory was a small venue (approx. 200 peeps there), a pretty cool place to see live music, most of crowd was mid-30s-40s…all that thought JR was hilarious…however, as funny as we think he is, we showed up to hear his music…recognizable songs for me were “Dancing at the Lesbian Bar” and “Pablo Picasso” (‘never called an asshole’)…both two very funny songs, but JR isn’t Adam Sandler and we listen to these songs for the music and then additional chuckles…JR was joined only by a drummer…we’ll call him “boy” and he didn’t add much…and unfortunately JR’s instrumentation didn’t either……playing off the crowds enthusiasm for comedy, JR spun his g-tar around often, doing some comical dances…I don’t give out thumbs or anything, but I’ll just say I don’t know the last song JR played or whether he got a encore…I left before that could happen…after I finished my 6 buck Boddingtons…I will certainly check out future bands playing at the Knitting Factory again…and would like to eventually see Jonathan Richman with a band…


8:00 PM LIVE! ON STAGE JONATHAN RICHMAN Featuring Tommy Larkins on the Drums With Special guest direct from Spain: KIKO VENENO.

G-Man saw Jonathan Richman at the Knitting Factory last night and phoned Jonathan (his brother, not JR, for he, Richman, was performing) with Dancing in the Lesbian Bar blaring in the background, but JFK was sleeping. This was Richman's third night of a four-night gig at the Factory. Waiting on a concert report.

Artist profile:
Jonathan Richman is an American proto-punk icon and one of the progenitors of "indie rock." He is known for his wide-eyed, near-childlike lyrical outlook, and music that, while rooting in 50's rock and roll structures, can be wildly eclectic. Jonathan Richman has been writing songs, making records and performing live for most of his life, winning fans and making friends around the world with his guileless honesty and playfully catchy compositions. He's revered by countless fellow artists, and has built a remarkably loyal international audience through his tireless touring. His deceptively straightforward songs embody timeless qualities of humanity, optimism, emotional insight and a boundless sense of humor, untainted by cynicism or transient notions of hipness.

Jonathan Richman is undoubtedly the coolest of the uncool in popular music. For three decades now Jonathan Richman has enjoyed cult status amongst the lonely, misunderstood, sentimental and sad romantics amongst us.His anti-rock stance and lo-fi attitude has made him an unlikely punk hero.

No comments: