Sunday, January 22, 2006

Revisiting Doug Sahm en route to Chicopee

Late for a noon appointment in Chicopee, I cruised up I91 from Hartford listening the entire distance to a wonderful live set from Doug Sahm on XM Satellite Radio's X Country station #12. It was so good that I hesitated to arrive too quickly! There was no break in the broadcast for commentary so I don't know what recording it was from. Perhaps XM has those things online; if so, I will let you know because it was packed with energy and great tex-mex music.

Sahm, who died in 1999, was nominated for but not elected to the rock 'n roll HOF this last time. Most remember him from the Sir Douglas Quintet's Mendicino, but he was a contemporary of Willie Nelson back in the day and put out some truly great music. Two recommendations from johnnyk are 1973's Doug Sahm and Band (which features Bob Dylan, Dr. John and David "Fathead" Newman) and 1994's Last Real Texas Blues Band Featuring Doug Sahm.

No comments: