Friday, February 01, 2008

Dusting off Dusty...

Big fan of Dusty Springfield here, so my curiosity was piqued a few months ago by an article that Shelby Lynne, of whom I had heard, but had not heard, was doing an album of old Dusty stuff, suggested by Barry Manilow! Yikes! Lynne is a country singer who had some success a few years ago, starting with a duet with George Jones, "If I Could Bottle This Up", which became a top-50 hit in 1988 and her first album, Sunrise. (She is also sister to singer Alison Moorer, wife of Steve Earle, who I saw introduced at the 2005 Newport Folk Festival by an inebriated Lucinda Williams thusly: "Com'n, give it up for Steve Fuckin' Earle.") But I digress. Shelby Lynne won a Grammy in 2000 for the album I Am Shelby Lynne, but has flown under the radar in recent years. Now, out this week, is the Dusty Springfield disk, Just a Little Lovin', and it's getting some decent buzz. - AllMusicGuide

Shelby Lynne I Only Want To Be With You:


Dusty singing her first solo hit on Dutch TV on 23/1/1964:

No comments: