Saturday, December 29, 2007

More Fabulous Farquahr memories...

Happened upon your site, and thought I’d drop a note.

Back in the day – early 60’s, the McGowans (Frank, Dennis, and Bobby) were very involved in Fife and Drum Corps, performing both with the Connecticut Ancient Mariners (co-founded by my father, Jack MacLearn, and Roy Watrous), and Stoney Creek Corps. Dennis McGowan gave me some of my first bass drum lessons. I saw all three on a regular basis, and later, after I left fife and drum music to pursue guitar, and rock’n roll, I ran into the McGowans in Vermont , where I had moved in the early 70’s. They became a regular feature at a club in Wilmington , VT , where I saw them on several occasions.

Thereafter, I lost track of them, and only just learned of Frank and Dennis’ passing. Both wonderful guys, skilled musicians, and great entertainers. As they say… “those were the days…” - Lachlan MacLearn, Somewhere in New Hampshire

4 comments:

Whatbugsme most said...

Their Vermont home was Fat City, owned by Frank Dougherty, a local legend. I played with them up there in the very early '60s.

Anonymous said...

And they played at The Other Way too! What ever happened to Sweet Pie? :o)

Misto58 said...

Ken Boos owned Fat City

Unknown said...

Wow, I remember parking cars then. Kenny let me stay at the white house one time. A stand up guy!