Tuesday, December 04, 2007

More Farquahr reflections...

These comments were recently made to my Fabulous Farquahr post "My eggs don't taste the same without you...":

From Anonymous - I met Doug and the McGowans back in the early 60's. They were simply known as, "Dougie and the McGowan's" (I think) and would frequently play at the Hofbraus House in New Haven. I worked with Dougie during the day at Dale System - an investigative shopping service in New Haven. We would drive all over the state and Dougie would be in the back seat practicing his songs on his guitar. He was truly talented - he wrote "You Don't Know What You've Got (Until You Lose It)" which was sung by Ral Donner around 1961 and made the top 10. I have many wonderful memories of Dougie, Bobby, Frank and Dennis - The Fabulous Farguahr. Sadly Dennis and Frank are gone and not too long ago Jack, the older brother, passed away. May they all be resting in peace.

From Frank W. - Frank, Bobby, and Dennis McGowan were good friends (Bobby still is). I got to know them in the old car hobby. We were all partial to Packards from the mid Twenties to the mid Thirties. I also knew Jim Ricker (Buzzard) who was a regular member of the Farquahr. There was another McGowan brother, Jack, who would go with Frank, Bobby and Dennis to the huge old car flea market in Hershey, Pennsylvania, every October. Jack was not otherwise involved in the old cars and he wasn't involved in the band, either. I saw the Fabulous Farquahr perform once and I wish I had seen them more. They were very good and their repertoire was a wonderful mix of good old fashioned, well done folk music and hilarious original material, like "Motel Cloud Nine" which is one of my favorites. Frank gave me a CD of their "From The Top" album and my biggest regret is that I didn't get them to sign it. I think we all often assume our friends will be around forever. Now only Bobby is left. The last time I talked to Bobby he said just the day before he watched the buildings that housed their old car business bulldozed. It's the end of an era.

No comments: