Sunday, December 10, 2006

SB & BS share new music at Cafe Nine...

I know that when I was nine years old, I didn't have some hot chick with a guitar singing to me about a hooker, but Josh from Staten Island had the experience (and probably some interesting post-show dreams) courtesy of Sarah Borges at Cafe Nine Saturday night. Lucky boy!

Sarah and her Broken Singles, fresh from their East-coast tour opening for Big Sandy & His Fly-Rite Boys, played for about and hour and a half showcasing some new songs (complete with clever little hooks), reworking some of their Silver City gems and even throwing in a tasty Charlie Pride number. They sounded great and seemed to be relaxed and having fun with it all. And Josh was singing right along, first from his side-window sill perch and then front and center at the base of the stage. Sarah playfully chided the young man for being dressed up in New York Yankees gear while enjoying the Red Sox-loving band. Between songs, bassist (and Sarah's on-stage foil) Binky informed us that this is their last live show of the year and, interestingly, the January Cafe Nine show was their first of 2006. "It's nice to be back in the Rock 'N Roll Living Room (Cafe Nine bills itself as the 'musician's living room'). Let me tell you, we've played in alot of rock 'n roll bathrooms." Another solid, entertaining show. I've emailed Sarah for a set listing and will post if I get it.

I can only imagine Josh's interpretation of the audience-participation chorus "Turn your love light on, open up your back door." Some day in the future he will look back at this night - and smile.

Talking briefly with Binky and Sarah after the show before their two-hour trek back to Boston, they explained that they will now hunker down to practice the new songs and hit the studio in January to record the new album. If things go smoothly, it will be released in April or May on the Sugar Hill label.

Singer/guitarist Bryan Rud and a talented guitarist named Josh (no, not Staten Island Josh) played a very entertaining opening set.

Since I am completely spastic with my camera, I screwed up a video from last night's gig. So, instead, I'm presenting a YouTube video (courtesy of ssbvideo) of one of their new songs from last month's show at Johnny D's in Somerville:

No comments: