Tuesday, December 26, 2006

More odes to James Brown....

Whooooaaa!
I feel good, I knew that I would, now
I feel good, I knew that I would, now
So good, So good, I got you - lyrics

Eric Danton (Hartford Courant)- ...He was known by many names: Soul Brother No. 1, the Hardest Working Man in Show Business, the Godfather of Soul, Mr. Dynamite, Butane James. Whatever you called him, Brown was no mere icon. He was a pompadoured revolutionary, a one-man musical insurrection in a fur-trimmed cape and high-gloss shoes. complete article

Jon Pareles (New York Times)- ...James Brown and the Famous Flames toured nonstop through the 1960s. They were filmed in California for the “The T.A.M.I. Show,” released in 1965, which shows Mick Jagger trying to pick up Mr. Brown’s dance moves. By the mid-1960s Mr. Brown was producing his own recording sessions. In February 1965, with “Papa’s Got a Brand New Bag,” he decided to shift the beat of his band: from the one-two-three-four backbeat to one-two-three-four. “I changed from the upbeat to the downbeat,” Mr. Brown said in 1990. “Simple as that, really.” complete article

Sarge (email to johnnykmusic)- Let's put it simply, the man was, as Hank Ballard said in 1972, "a living legend. A real live living legend....It's James Brown's world. World of music." I love James Brown, and Get on the Good Foot might be the greatest soul album ever recorded. Peace, Sarge

No comments: