Tuesday, July 18, 2006

The chick's got soul....

While writing this (Saturday night), I'm listening to WHUS 91.7fm's Soul Express w/ Dean Farrell (9-12 Saturday evenings)with guest Christine Ohlman contributing gems from her Southern soul music collection and offering informative comments for us less-knowledgable fans of the genre. Catch her live sometime, with her band Rebel Montez or guesting with the Mohegan Sun All-stars; you will be grandly rewarded. Rumor has it that Johnny Gumbo is close to signing Christine for this year's Apple Harvest Festival, subject to some scheduling conflicts with her SNL gig.

From Christine's collection:

1. STAND UP LIKE A MAN - Bettye LaVette
2. HOW STRONG IS MY LOVE - Ruby Johnson
3. HERE I AM - Jackie Moore
4. WHO WAS THAT? - Tina Britt
5. WHAT CAN I DO WITHOUT YOU? - Linda Jones

6. I'M QUALIFIED - Otis Clay
7. (MAMA COME QUICK AND BRING YOUR) LICKING STICK - George Torrance & The Naturals
8. I FOUND ALL THESE THINGS - C.O. Love
9. I'M A MAN - Timmy Willis
10. LET ME BE YOUR BOY - Wilson Pickett

11. JUST ANOTHER REASON - The Fascinations
12. BE STRONG ENOUGH TO HOLD ON - Bettye Swann
13. MY MAMA TOLD ME - Inez & Charlie Foxx
14. I LOVE YOU MORE THAN WORDS CAN SAY - Mable John
15. TROUBLE WITH MY LOVER - Betty Harris

16. BEST IN TOWN - The Hodges Brothers
17. I'M GONNA LOVE SOMEBODY ELSE'S WOMAN - Roy C.
18. THE PAIN GETS A LITTLE DEEPER - Darrow Fletcher
19. LILLIE MAE - Bobby Womack
20. CRY ON MY SHOULDER - Phil Flowers

21. HE CALLED ME BABY - Ella Washington
22. ONE OF THOSE GOOD FOR CRYIN' OVER YOU DAYS - Clydie King
23. TROUBLES, HEARTACHES AND SADNESS - Ann Peebles
24. I WANT TO BE LOVED - Ann Sexton
25. AFTER LOVIN' YOU - Jean Wells

26. I DIG GIRLS - J.J. Jackson
27. I'M THE BOSS - Ernie K-Doe
28. NOTHING CAN CHANGE THIS LOVE - Z.Z. Hill
29. THE TURNING POINT - Jimmy Holiday
30. YOU'LL LOSE A GOOD THING - Kip Anderson

31. IF YOU LOVE ME - Marva Whitney
32. DON'T DESTROY ME - Margie Hendryx
33. BABY, I'M SATISFIED - Jackie Lee & Dolores Hall
34. NOW RUN AND TELL THAT - Denise LaSalle
35. I CAN'T GET OVER LOSING YOU - Jean Wells

Soul Express 2006 playlists

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work »

Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. » » »