Sunday, February 12, 2006

Unsung, but not unhung.....

Following up on the surprising success of last year's cult favorite The Hope Song (recorded live at the Brass Guitar), John Ryan releases Unsung Gumbo to a small, but fiercely loyal fan base thirsting for more. And he delivers. Fueled by obvious frustration with his lack of commercial success despite being a critics' darling, Ryan lashes out at a tasteless record-buying public with If I Flashed, Would You Buy?, a clever, bitter nod to his androgynous good looks and the state of the music industry. P.S. I Faked It Too is an ode to bruised egos of love gone bad, while Dat's Going To Be a Tough Row to 'Ho chronicles the difficult life of a sweet young thing turned pro.

His tight backup compadres include Boz Scaggs (guitar/backing vocals), Rodney "Plaid' Greaves (bass guitar/slide trombone) and Wil Suzkins (drums/percussion). David Sanborn (sax) and Stevie Ray Parsons (muted trumpet), billed as the Horny Horns, texture several of the tracks nicely. All in all, a very fine effort from a largely undiscovered gem of an artist (and a peach of a guy).

The playlist:
1. If I Flashed, Would You Buy?
2. JohnnyFest
3. Struttin' Down Center Street
4. P.S. I Faked It Too
5. Psychologically I'm Fine, But I Could Use Some Fresh-Ground Pepper
6. How Do You Like Them Apples?
7. Dat's Going To Be a Tough Row to 'Ho
8. You Ain't Tina, Honey, But I'll Slap Your Face Anyways
9. I Brought the Dog Home, But She Wasn't Trained
10. Lazin' On Magazine

All songs written/sung by John Ryan; copyright 2006 Johnny Gumbo Music

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where can I order this instant classic????

Anonymous said...

I love Boz Scaggs, but must confess I've never heard of John Ryan or any of the other band members except David Sanborn. From the review, Ryan's a force to be reckoned with, both artistically and personally, and I intend to buy this CD immediately.

Anonymous said...

Rodney 'Plaid' Greaves is primo bass, man!!!