Sunday, February 13, 2005

johnnykmusic goes to the Grammys

grammys.com

Great seats, hey J Lo? I tell her I'm a big fan because I'm a wimp and don't want to have her mad sitting next to me all night. She says she's a BIG fan of johnnykmusic. I think she is. Shhhh, Lo, it's starting. Tony? Nice to meet you.

NBA theme song AGAIN! Gwen Stefani proves that the Grammys are indeed about RECORDED music. Jeez, have some nerve and sing live! I like the mixing of music to open the show. Not great, but fun. Queen is a torch singer now, which is okay, but she doesn't deserve this stage yet. Bet the real jazz divas are a little pissed. Can't get into Alicia Keyes, sorry, but Jamie Foxx is pretty amazing. I wish Jerry Lee Lewis would perform.

The southern rock tribute was a better idea than reality. Dicky Betts looks a little worn, don't you think? Elvin Bishop not as boyish as the album cover I remember. I told J Lo she looked, i mean sounded great. Oh, Anthony was Tony's LAST name! My bad, Lo.

Janis Joplin tribute coming up. I'm a little gun-shy about seeing James Brown; I'm not so sure he feels good, like he knew that he would. Then a Ray Charles tribute. I wish they would pick people who are still alive and tribute them - bet they wish it too. Not too many awards being given. Bonnie Raitt is being shown alot for something; bet it's Ray.

I love gospel. Staples Singers. Blind Boys of Alabama. Check out their CD with Ben Harper. GREAT RECORD! Kanye West pulled it together pretty well. Hey, one of my CD's won! Loretta Lynne won for her album Van Lear Rose with the White Stripes' Jack White. Cute little interplay between the two while accepting the Grammy.

I liked the Janis Joplin tribute, it had some energy, even though I'm still wondering if Joss Stone is the real deal; tough to separate the hype. Two nice performances if you can keep from focusing on Melissa's doo. Looks cool. Hope she's doing ok. Although for a good cause, 'Across the Universe' sounded lame. I think I like John Mayer, who sounds like a cross between James Taylor and Dave Matthews. Looks like he went to Choate. Did he?

Thank God, The Godfather of Soul didn't try to do too much. Very nice Bonnie Raitt with tasty slide guitar. Makes one yearn for the old Bonnie, but she's paid her dues and her pop CD's sell.

Well, it's a wrap. Afterparties to attend. Gotta go. Oh yeah, Lo, lunch? Mos def!

No comments: