Thursday, April 19, 2012

R.I.P. soulful man...

Levon Helm dies from throat cancer at 71 (story) (tribute at wolfgangsvault):
  • Shelby Lynne -"Oh yeah.... I met Levon at the Ryman back in my Nashville days... He looked me in the eye and said "I sure do like your singing". My heart grew big as a watermelon. I'll never forget that moment. Soulful dude. I will miss him." -SL 
  • Low Cut Connie - "The boys in Low Cut Connie are so very sad to hear about Levon's passing...RIP..you were the shit. One of the greatest drummers and voices in Rock n Roll" 
  • Bob Dylan -"He was my bosom buddy friend to the end, one of the last true great spirits of my or any other generation. This is just so sad to talk about. I still can remember the first day I met him and the last day I saw him. We go back pretty far and had been through some trials together. I'm going to miss him, as I'm sure a whole lot of others will too."
  • Some guy named Dire Wolf - "I'll watch The Last Waltz (for about the 50th time), drink beer, smoke a fat one and sing along like a fool."
At dinner last Friday night, I was telling Keith that one of the upcoming Jazz Fest sets I was really looking forward to was the pairing of the Levon Helm Band (although not THE Band) with Mavis Staples closing Saturday in the Blues Tent. Alas, news first came that Levon had cancelled (following exits by John Mayer and Eddie Vedder), but now it comes out that Helm is in the finally stages of his battle with cancer.  Very sad.  This guy was a keeper. I think I'm going to listen to Music From Big Pink for awhile.-JK


Dear Friends,
Levon is in the final stages of his battle with cancer. Please send your prayers and love to him as he makes his way through this part of his journey. ...

Thank you fans and music lovers who have made his life so filled with joy and celebration... he has loved nothing more than to play, to fill the room up with music, lay down the back beat, and make the people dance! He did it every time he took the stage...

We appreciate all the love and support and concern.
From his daughter Amy, and wife Sandy

1 comment:

Cheshire P. Cat said...

Prayers to Levon and Family. Provided some great songs and memories.