Monday, July 25, 2011

New release: What Is Too Hip by Marcia V & Vinnie...

What Is Too Hip (Vista Records)
Can one be too hip?  Or two hipped?  Tell me, tell me if you think you know.  One thing is for sure, Marcia V will hip check you into the boards with her latest album, What Is Too Hip, a gumbo of tasty 'Haven-style blues, 60/70s Westie punk and sassy pop.  The title track attacks you with V's signature screeching vocals and doesn't let up for five numbing minutes.  I think it's a test: are you indeed hip enough.  I almost wasn't, but what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.  I was on life support.  But, miraculously, I was 'saved' by the total unexpected sweetness of former Westie Punk Gussy P's slide sitar guest solo on '99', a heart-felt gospel tribute to compatriot Steve the Bod.  Vinnie V (no relation), Marcia's long-time collaborator, lyricist and oboist, gets a rare turn at lead vocals on the countrified ditty New Sheriff In Town (an ode to Johnny E).  Next, MV stuns the senses once more with the strangest version of I Am the Walrus that I've ever heard, but I guess I'm too terrified not to like it.  Too unhip, perhaps?  It's out August 10.  I dare you!

1 comment:

Marcia V (sans Vinnie) said...

Edie Beale, one of my role models-good choice for cover shot. Thanks for the glowing review of our new release-confirms our belief that we have found our encore careers. And who knew you were a Laura Nyro fan-also one of my favorites. Hope Reet is doing well and that we can all get together soon for some chow and music-Marcia V
p.s. Are you sure you're a CPA???????????