Saturday, April 24, 2010

Hey, aren't you guys the famous Sawtelles!!!!!....

What a gorgeous Spring day, boys and girls! An early morning round at Timberlin with the regulars (excepting Steve the Bod, who was probably at a video poker machine in Atlantic City; so we rented an Anderson), followed by a quick trip over to the Silver City's annual Daffodil Festival (alone, no one to play with, although The Reet said she'd go if I wanted) to catch Christine Ohlman/Rebel Montez and sample some of the other fine eclectic music usually on display. Had to park down at the bottom of the hill in the Centennial Plaza (is it still? and what centennial?). No matter, the walk back up the hill is good for you. Christine and her band are in fine form, performing a number of cuts from their recently issued album, The Deep End, as well as more familiar stuff from earlier albums (she has six), including the always killer version of Buddy Holly's Not Fade Away. Guesting on backup vocals/harmonica was the incomparable Robert Orsi of the D. Smith Blues Band. At the end of the set, I wandered over to the Jeff Crooms Welcome Stage where I expected Kicking Daisies to be some kind of homophobic S&M metal band, but found the second coming (3rd/4th?) of the Hansons entertaining an enthusiastic crowd of young teens and their parents. Kinda cute, sorta. Suddenly, my eye catches a familiar looking couple. Could it be? Yes, I think it is! Not completely certain, but, "Hey, aren't you guys the famous Sawtelles?" Slightly startled by the affront, they look at me and respond, "Yes, in fact, we ARE the famous Sawtelles." A lovely introductory chat ensued. The Plantsville-based Nerve Rock duo will play their final gig in a series of monthly appearances Friday May 14 at Typhoon (Thai, get it?) Restaurant on Main Street in Middletown. It's BYOB, great food and the set starts at 6:30PM. Make plans to be there (note to the Andersons and Valentes to clear their schedules). And they gave me a copy of the Sawtelles (well, I THINK they gave it to me)!

On my way out, I stopped to pick up a copy of The Hard Way and say hello to Christine, who made believe she remembered me. Mentioned that I saw she was going to play the Howlin' Wolf in New Orleans next Thursday and that I'd be in Nola for Jazz Fest with Johnny Gumbo and the Pool Hall Studs, but she said the event was way oversold because it was to benefit the New Orleans Musicians Fund. She'll jet back right after the show for a gig up in Northampton.  Missions accomplished, I head out toward the Centennial Plaza (is it still? and what centennial?), passing by the exiting River City Slim van filled with equipment and musicians (one of which looks like Bill Walton, circa 1974).  As I pull out onto I691, an ever-pompous John Sterling tells me the Yankees are beating up on the Angels (apparently their boyfriends are not back).  Back at the ranch, steaks on the grill and a glass of wine with The Reet.  A good day.



Music becoming a main attraction of fest (Record-Journal)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice steady hand on that camera! LOL