Tuesday, October 27, 2009

My eggs don't taste the same without you...

A comment from Millie about the Farquahr:
Wow, I have tears in my eyes from reading all these Fabulous Farquahr tributes. I am now 65, first experiences the FF in my early 20's at the Rockinghorse in Hartford CT. Awesome, unforgettable. When I married, my husband was more fanatic than me, so we kept track of where the band would be playing and attended dozens of shows over the years. Pufferbellies & Christine's (I think that was the name on RT 28) both on the Cape. (Not being skiers, we missed out on a lot.) For many years they were booked for a St Patrick's Day event by the West Hartford CT firemen. We got dozens of friends to join us (50 of us for one show!) year after year. We still reminisce about those marvelous evenings singing along with the guys. My 2 daughters grew up singing along to the songs on Cassette as we drove back and forth to the Cape, and it was BIG when they finally were old enough to attend a performance. I must admit that I never saw them at our local watering hole here on the Cape (the Land Ho) but I think that was before we started to come here around 1970. I sent an inquiry to Branford a few years back and got a sweet reply telling me of Frank's death and the end of the band. There will never be another bunch of guys who took the stage night after night with such a fierce desire to ENTERTAIN everyone present to the very best of their abilities. And that they did, every time.

And a followup by Tony:
In the summer of 1969 I was a waiter at "the Steakpub" in Dennisport. Several nights each week a bunch of us would go up to Orleans see the Farquahr at the "Southward Inn" (original name: Orleans Inn); Never tired of watching one of the most entertaining groups ever; songs like "My Eggs", "My Island", "John Deere", skits like Rocky Gay, Pizza Boy, etc. will always be fondly remembered. In later years, took my kids to see them perform in Branford, Chester, Dock & Dine and other places. They still get a kick when I play their first three albums (cassettes). What a great summer, great era and a great group!.

Hey, they actually made Wikipedia, All Music Guide

1 comment:

Tony said...

in the summer of 1969 I was a waiter at "the Steakpub" in Dennisport. Several nights each week a bunch of us would go up to Orleans see the Farquahr at the "Southward Inn" (original name:Orleans Inn); Never tired of watching one of the most entertaining groups ever; songs like "My Eggs", "My Island","John Deere", skits like Rocky Gay, Pizza Boy etc will always be fondly remembered. In later years, took my kids to see them perform in Branford, Chester, Dock and Dine and other places. They still get a kick when I play their first three albums (cassettes. What a great summer, great era and a great group!.