Sunday, February 01, 2009

The big matchup - who ya got?...

Did you get your Springsteen greatest hits CD at Wal*Mart yet? Nice move, Bruce, maybe you can give the workers a concert during their breaks to make up for the lapse in judgement. Oh yeah, I forgot, they DON'T GET ANY BREAKS!

ANYWAY. A duel for the ages, or at least this Sunday, pitting a gritty, old American city against a whole state (even if it was the very last of the 48 contiguous to be admitted). Here are the facts, painstakingly assembled by the johnnykmusic staff to present a fair and balanced picture. Post your thoughts in the comments section below:

Pittsburgh
  • The Steel City- pop. 2,462,571
  • Three rivers- the Allegheny and Monongahela Rivers, where the Ohio River forms
  • Steelers- ruff, tuff beer-belly guys
  • Iron City beer
  • Arnold Palmer, golf legend
  • Christina Aguilera, George Benson, Perry Como, Stephen Foster, the Marcells, Dean Martin, Bobby Vinton, the Vogues
  • Dennis Miller, Rush Limbaugh, Andy Warhol
  • Larry Fitzgerald, former wide receiver from the University of Pittsburgh
  • The prestigious Carnegie-Mellon University, peer of Caltech, Cornell, Duke, MIT, etc.

  • Arizona
  • The Grand Canyon State- pop. 6,500,180
  • The Grand Canyon- really, really big canyon

  • Cardinals- pretty red birds from St. Louis
  • Arizona Iced Tea
  • Phil Mickelson, needing a man-zeer
  • Alice Cooper, Linda Ronstadt, Charles Mingus, Wayne Newton, Stevie Nicks, Marty Robbins, Jordan Sparks
  • Steve Allen, Erma Bombeck, Frank Lloyd Wright
  • Larry Fitzgerald, current wide receiver of the Arizona Cardinals
  • University of Phoenix on-line correspondence school

  • 10 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    Um, why would I need a man-zeer? I think I'm looking pretty buff these days.

    Anonymous said...

    Damn, if we could only have played you guys in football instead of cowboys & indians! You killed us!

    Anonymous said...

    What the hell is this crap!

    Anonymous said...

    John, I'm taking the Cardinals. Cinderella has arrived.

    Rick

    Johnnyk said...

    Yes, Rick, but you also had the Friars yesterday. How did that work out? And where the hell is Johnny E? It's your responsibility to keep track of the old roomie.

    Anonymous said...

    Cards, with the spread -- whatever it is. Truth is I saw a cardinal outside my window yesterday, then saw it again on my run, swear to god I did. Figure it's a sign. Putting a nickel on the Cards

    Anonymous said...

    Hey, we are contiguous up here also, I think. You guys are such smartalec morons. Personally, I and Johnny Mac are Mavericks fans.

    Anonymous said...

    George taking Steelers, I'm taking whoever helps me win on the weird chart that I can't begin to understand - I think you have to be a guy 'cuz George has no problem getting it but can't explain it to me. Going over to Carol and John's for the game soon.
    Have a great night! Trish
    PS - Springsteen tix go on sale Tuesday for XL Center - I'm sure you will be going, right?

    Anonymous said...

    Ariz 27 - 20. Did you get the NOLA room?

    Johnnyk said...

    Trish, no I have never attended a Springsteen concert. I'm an early Springsteen fan, but less so now. Not really an area guy either, although I did see the Allman Brothers at the old New Haven Coliseum. And I admit that The Reet and I spent an eternity one evening at the Htfd Civic Center enduring a Neil Diamond concert in the early 90's with Gumbo and Lori.

    And, speaking of Johnny Gumbo, no, I have not yet booked the NOLA room for Jazz Fest. I shall shortly. I hope the mayor of Spokane is doing better than the mayor of Hartford right now.