Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Goin' home day...

More perfect weather this morning. Warm, no humidity. Gumbo and I stroll across Canal and up Decatur to Cafe Du Monde around eight. Perfect timing for they do not serve outside until now. Quiet bustling about, the city back to normal, regular tourists and regular business people shuffle in and out, newspapers under their arms. We are seranaded by a street guitarist strumming Beatles songs just outside the cafe. Gumbo has to leave for the airport around 11:30; the PHS and I have a late afternoon flight, so there will be time to go over to the Louisiana Music Factory to pick up some music. Way too crowded yesterday, where crowds packed the store for the afternoon concerts.

Back at the hotel via the Riverwalk, we pack up and it's exit time for the Gumbo. Tears, sobbing all around. Or not. In any event, the legend that is Johnny Gumbo shuffles off to the Great Northwest. The PHS need more time to beautify, so I'm off to Decatur again to the LMF. Quiet, but quite a few of us looking for some good stuff to bring home. I'm told Ruthie Foster sold out fast. I settle on:

  • Johnny Sansone- Poor Man's Paradise
  • Terrance Blanchard- Let's Get Lost
  • Ellis Marsallis Quartet- An Open Letter to Thelonious

  • I retire to the Attiki Bar looking out on Decatur for an Abita Golden (they are out of Abita Amber) while I look over my cache. The Studs leave a message on my cell (I can't get the damn thing to ring) that they are off to Luke on St. Charles for lunch, but I've overeaten all weekend and I'm tapped out at this point. So I walk around the Quarter for awhile before rendezvousing with PHS back at the Louisiana Music Factory, where we see Allen Toussaint, crisply dressed in a pin-striped, grey suit and sandals, stroll in, looking for a Jimmy Buffett CD! Damn, left my camera back at the hotel with my stored luggage, so we missed a chance at a group shot (sans the Gumbo) with him. My bad.

    Finally, music acquired, it's up Decatur to purchase jewelry at Java House Imports and then Jazz Fest 2008 is history. See y'all next year.

    Approaching Cafe Du Monde for our annual coffee and beignets.


    Insider's view of Cafe Du Monde Tuesday morning while listening to a street musician playing Beatles tunes on acoustic guitar. Gumbo tips the gent as we leave. Street cred.


    Steamboat Natchez


    Steamboat Natchez docked along the Mississippi River.


    Just some historic building on Decatur Street during our Tuesday morning walk.


    St. Louis Cathedral at Jackson Square viewed from Riverwalk across Decatur.


    Harrah's New Orleans- no reason other than we were passing on our walk back from Cafe Du Monde.


    The legendary Fashion Cafe - now a Walgreens

    No comments: