Sunday, January 13, 2008

There's a girl, in this harbor town, who works laying whisky down...

I'm in the checkout line (well, it was empty, but if there were a line there, I would have been in it) at FYE at Westfarms, picking up some post-Christmas presents (Feist's The Reminder, a 4-disk set of 50's gospel), when I hear two gents brainstorming over who sang the song Brandy. I guess one was trying to locate the album, so the other offered authoritatively that it was Dennis Yost and the Classics Four. What?? The store manager looked on with no clue. After checking out, I walked past them and casually whispered to the manager, "If you really need to know, Brandy (You're a Fine Girl) lyrics is by Looking Glass," and walked out. -hear it.

Interestingly, Sarah Borges, on her wonderful 2005 debut album Silver City, does an 'answer' song to Brandy titled Same Old 45.

No comments: