Saturday, March 10, 2007

Should I go or should I stay......

Holly Golightly plays tonight at Cafe Nine in New Haven, but I don't know if I have the stamina to stay up late enough to go. Should I ask The Reet to go? I've never seen Ms. Golightly; stopped at Cafe Nine last year to catch her, but was told she was stuck in traffic coming up from NYC and would be late......too late for me, so I had to go.

(New Haven Advocate story) - Roughly ten proper albums and several singles into a 12-year-long solo career, Holly Golightly unfairly remains slightly better known for her (frankly notable and cred-worthy) associations. To get that out of the way: Billy Childish, The Headcoatees, blah blah, White Stripes guest vocal, blah blah. But even in those collabos, her singular voice has stood out--Golightly is a real rock'n'roll chanteuse, casual and confident, one of the most enthralling vocalists of her time and idiom.

When she last played in New Haven, rolling through a set of old-school rhythm and blues, early rock'n'roll and soulful country, backed by a band with the chops to sound loose and pro at once, her relaxed coolness was such that some grumbled her performance was phoned-in, while others hung rapturously on every line and strum. In fact, Golightly's magic lies in a combination of the intangibility and intimacy the audience picked up on. She'll be back at Cafe Nine (250 State St., New Haven, 203-789-8281, cafenine.com) this Saturday, March 10.

No comments: