Thursday, April 21, 2005

gmanthesis

I arrived at Manhattanville College with an optimistic mind, free to learn and meet new people - possibly become interested in more music. The first person I met was my freshman roommate Scotty G. We had similarities, both 5'10 white dudes that listened to mostly rap. We shared a couple brewskies one night at the beginning of our first college semester, exchanging autobiographies. I had just started listening to Jonathan Richman so decided to put him on. Scott had never heard of him, but I soon realized he was the subject of one of Richman's songs. There was a knock at our door. We hid our alcoholic beverages quickly and turned down "Dancing at the Lesbian Bar", a Jonathan Richman classic. It was our Residence Director telling us there were complaints about loud music. He searched our room to find beer cans. We got written up and were put on probation for underage drinking. We can thank Richman for that. Our IDs said we were 21, but Manhattanville campus safety did not buy the 21-year-old freshmen idea. After that night, the conversation between Scott and me stagnated and soon vanished. Communication between us roommates was limited to a head nod, an occasional hello or what's up. This called for some Jonathan Richman again, track number 3, You Can't Talk to the Dude, from his album I, Jonathan. The 'dude' refers to Scott and Richman is telling me that I can't talk to him - yeah, no kidding, Jonathan!

You wonder why you're feeling blue,
And you live with a guy that you can't talk to.
You can't talk to the dude
And that's no longer in style,
You can't talk to the dude
No this "No es normal."
You can't talk to the dude
And things will never be right
Until you go.

Final draft - here...

No comments: