Friday, July 20, 2012

Long, but satisfying night in Hartford...

"There are nights when I think Sal Paradise was right.
Boys and girls in America have such a sad time together.
Sucking off each other at the demonstrations
Making sure their makeup's straight
Crushing one another with colossal expectations.
Dependent, undisciplined, and sleeping late."

Not tonight, though.  America's boys and girls were juiced to have Craig Finn and the boys playing at such a small venue Thursday night.  Earlier in the day, after getting an email reply from the Arch Street Tavern that there may be tickets at the door at 8 (show at 9 with two opening bands!), I committed to going Gilbert O'Sullivan-style.  I pull onto Arch Street and notice a single space open in its parking lot!  I park and get into a line of early arrivals.  You got tickets?  Yep, they all reply, so I go up to the hulking security dude with a 'TROUBLE' tat on his upper arm to ask about tickets.  "You should be okay, Chief."  Cool.  Back in line.  Line getting long in back of me.  Call for tickets gets me mine.  Back in line.  At 8 we are admitted.  I grab a beer and snatch a chair in the outside bar area, knowing that I probably have until around 10:30 until The Hold Steady comes on.  Perfect night, weather-wise.  Crowd is primarily 30's-early 40's, with a generous sprinkling of older and younger.  Inside, I catch the end of Ohio-based Mount Carmel's set.  Blusey guitar/bass/drums rock.  Quite good.  It's now 9:15.  Fang Island comes on.  With a small sample of two songs, I decide I'm not a fan and retreat back to my seat outside. Nice chat with a 40-ish Boston 2nd grade teacher and her new boyfriend (he's the THS fan, has seen them a dozen times).  It's about 10:30.  Showtime, finally!

I'm familiar with much of The Hold Steady's catalog, but I'm a mere amateur compared to this crowd.  They not only know every word, they know every inflection, every gesture!  Craig Finn is the ultimate hipster-geek front man.  Great stage presence.  The band is loud - and excellently so (although I do miss the keyboards of the departed Franz Nicolay)!  The place is alive!  It's Steve Urkel meets Kerouac meets (early) Springsteen meets Dropkick Murphys.  No pauses, no breaks.  One song finishes, next one cranks up. The sight lines suck, too many tall people!!!!  I wish I was taller (I wish I was a baller, I wish....). But it's all good, continuing for an hour and a half.  At the end, Finn makes a deal that we wouldn't go through the go-off-clap-come-back-on routine.  "We'll play the encore right now- but give us a minute to figure out what."  Perfect.
"Southtown girls won't blow you away
but you know that they'll stay"
View of stage from near the bathrooms

No comments: