Wednesday, September 28, 2011

I know, it's only rock 'n roll...

The 2012 class of nominees has been announced:
  1. Heart (Nancy & big sister Ann Wilson - ooooooooooo, barracuda!)
  2. Rufus with Chaka Khan (it's so fun to say Chaka Khan!)
  3. Eric B & Rakim
  4. Guns 'N Roses (do they get in despite that last crappy album? will Axl Rose and Slash kiss?)
  5. Donna Summer (who doesn't like Bad Girls?)
  6. The Cure (Friday I'm in love)
  7. Laura Nyro (my favorite, but is she anyone else's?)
  8. War (what is it good for, Eric Burden?)
  9. Beastie Boys (at least they'll fight for our right to PARTY!)
  10. Joan Jett & the Blackhearts ( The Runaways are going, WTF?)
  11. The Spinners (they're not in yet?)
  12. Donovan (when I say we'll be cool I think that you know what I mean)
  13. Freddie King (The Fred don't give a damn, died in 1976)
  14. Red Hot Chilli Peppers
  15. The Small Faces/The Faces (hey, these were two separate bands!  Gus, where do you stand on this important issue?)
Left out:
  • The B-52's  (at least deserve a nomination...Love Shack, Baby!)
  • Chicago (yeah, they really sucked after awhile, but first two albums were classic)
  • The Dead Kennedys (not a punk aficionado, but great name)
  • Westie Punks ( a travesty; they were arcade-rock way before Springsteen)
  • The Pool Hall Studs (a travesty also; they just are)
  • Johnny Gumbo Party Band (no one can party like the Gumbo can....and live to tell about it)
  • The Cars (see below)
  • Dick Dale (still going strong, King of the Surf Guitar)
  • Gram Parsons  (should be considered from an influence perspective)
  • Jethro Tull  (still eyeing little girls with bad intent....just as you are)
  • Linda Ronstadt  (ex-Stone Pony has a pretty impressive resume)
  • Marvelettes  (one of the best girl groups of the 60s)
  • Peter, Paul & Mary  (hey, it's not really just rock, so these guys deserve in too)
  • Randy Newman  (short people got no reason to live)
  • Steve Miller Band  (are you kidding me?....i'm a joker, i'm a smoker...go ahead, sing along)
  • Yes  (no.....)
The Cars' lead singer, Ric Ocasek, was recently on the Colbert Report and was asked about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame:
Stephen Colbert: Why aren't you guys in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? Is it because you used steroids? Did you juice?
Ric Ocasek: You know I really don't know. I don't know if I want to be in it.
Stephen: Really?
Ric: But if I did want to be in it, I don't know why we're not in it.
Stephen: There's no award I wouldn't accept. Can I have it if they give it to you? Can I have yours?
Ric: Well, yeah. I'll bring it in and you can put it up there.

Laura Nyro singing Dr. John's Mama Roux:

No comments: