Saturday, April 16, 2011

Saturday is Record Store Day...

I remember my very first purchases when my aunt took me to a record store somewhere on Center Street in Southington way back when I was in grammar school:  Singin' the Blues by Guy Mitchell and Jim Dandy by Laverne Baker.  Record stores were places to pass time scouting out the cut-out bins for perceived little-known gems. Lunch hours in the 70's, 80's and early 90's often found me finding a store in whatever town I happened to be working - Cutler's Records, Record Express, Al Franklin's Musical World, Integrity 'N Music and any little no-name place I happened upon.  Bought more than a few stinkers in my day, but that's the small price you pay (literally, often just a buck) for adventure!  But I'm not wallowing in despair here, but rather touting Saturday's celebration of the Independent record store - it's RECORD STORE DAY!  I still go to Integrity over on the Silas Deane for great jazz and to Turn It Up in Northampton when I'm in the area, but the trips are much less frequent.   A tip of the hat to the Sawtelles, who will be celebrating Record Store Day by performing at Gerosa Records over in Brookfield.  It's worth a trip.  Go, Jim Dandy!


Jack White hails Record Store Day, new releases (AP)
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Music fans across the country are celebrating Record Store Day.  Fans in Nashville started lining up outside Jack White's record store shortly after midnight Friday, vying for special releases. White tells The Associated Press that even though record stores are closing all over the place, vinyl sales are growing.  Labels big and small released more than 300 items exclusive to Record Store Day this year, the fourth year of the celebration meant to draw fans to their local independent record store. That's nearly twice as many as last year.  White contributed two 7-inch rereleases of The White Stripes' first singles. Other special releases included Ryan Adams' double 7-inch, the Nirvana "Hoarmoaning" EP rerelease and the test-pressing of Big Star's "Third" for days.



No comments: