Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Pool Hall Studs' night out...

The Iguanas Tuesday night at Cafe Nine

And it's boom boom boom, boom boom boom, boom boom all night long.  Well, it isn't exactly booming inside Cafe Nine as I arrive at 8:50 PM for a "9:00 PM sharp showtime" after finding a parking space right out front.  That in itself was scary.  The street looks deserted!  Did the Iguanas show get canceled?  And they changed the front door!  WTF???   But I go around to the side and give my fifteen bucks to the disinterested Goth-girl just outside the entrance.  I missed Sarah Borges at the Nine on Saturday and Wayne Escoffery/Carolyn Leonhart at Bushnell Park on Monday night, so I'm  making myself stay up past my bedtime for this show.

 Red Stripe, barkeep.  Late-arriving crowd?  He smiles an insincere, you're-not-as-clever-as-you-might-think smile.  There are only about ten others in the place, so I go into my oh yeah, I'll just focus on all these really cool things up on the wall mode.  I'm meeting the Pool Hall Studs and the girls here.  The Reet doesn't do late night dive shows, so I'm sort of a fifth wheel.  Yankees are being beaten by some kid making his first Major League start up on the very old tv.  Three guys in short-sleeved white shirts finish their drinks and scoot out the door.  We're down to seven!  Not to worry, the Iguana nation is slowly shuffling in. And I recognize a real live Iguana (I think the accordian/guitar/singer guy) enter too!  Barry suddenly appears and we grab a table.  Mark and Maureen are close behind, followed by more friends.  Suddenly I'm a nineth wheel.  Hugs (Maureen) and kisses (Mark) all around.  Mark reminds me that HE is the original link to Cafe Nine, then fills me in on seeing Trombone Shorty a few weeks ago in Fairfield.  He orders another round for the table, then leaves for the men's room just in time for the guy on my left (sorry, guy, I suck at names) to pick up the tab.  Smooth.

Para donde vas
Para donde vas 
Para donde vas, donde vas

The Iguanas have been around the block a few times, but their energy on stage is contagious.  Originally a guitar/sax-driven band, they've added keyboards and a great trumpet player.  I like it.  Rod Hodges on guitar & accordian, Joe Cabral on sax & guitar, Rene Coman on bass, Doug Garrison on drums.  I don't know the other names; bad reporting, I know, but deal with it.   We're discussing how to classify their music, but it's not easy - Tex-Mex, rockabilly, cajun, some country, jazz riffs - a veritable gumbo of influences.  Did I say GUMBO!!!!  Mark texts the big guy, now living out on the Left Coast, and gets a response that I cannot read.  I'm sure it was witty.  The Gumbo Nor'east Summer Tour will stop in Southington on Monday, August 9th at AJ's, where he will hold court for all of his fans.  Tickets go on sale tomorrow; ask Barry.

Darlin', let's give in to this night of sin
Heaven holds a place for you and me
'Cause if we both give in to this night of sin
Heaven's just the place we're gonna be


Everyone is now in a dancing mood as the band runs through their vast catalog of songs - EXCEPT FOR, my favorite, My Girlfriend is a Waitress (treat her right)!  For some reason, the trumpet player leaves, I didn't catch the explanation.  Good job, though, guy.  The band plays on, sounding really great.  I love these guys!  The band gives a nice shout out to Cafe Nine, saying there are only a couple guys they play for on the road that really care about the bands that come in, and Billy from Cafe Nine is one of the good ones.  Encore!  It's late, they finish, I'm out.  It may be a night of sin for some, but I'm too tired.  Goodbye hugs (Maureen), kisses (Mark), handshake (Barry), wave (all others) and I'm out on deserted State Street, hoping not to get mugged.  A good night.  Good night!

Here's a YouTube clip of a previous show at Cafe Nine:


No comments: