Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Revisiting James Hunter Tuesday night at the Iron Horse with Keith 'n Sharie...

I discovered James Hunter (for myself, I'm only taking credit for a small band of his followers) a number of years ago after reading his bio on the Rhythm & Roots website.  Didn't see him at that annual Rhody Labor Day fest, but started listening to his music and was blown away by his just-released People Gonna Talk.  I wore that album out, became a James Hunter evangelist.  Part James Brown, part Sam Cooke with Chuck Berry influences, a bit retro for some, I suppose, but I was hooked.  I first saw him live back in 2006 (see post) at the Iron Horse, where he confirmed my original impressions of him with a marvelous show.  Next time around at The Horse, Keith & Sharie, now huge fans (of him) accompanied me, but our boy sounded quite hoarse from a sore throat and it affected his performance.  Very disappointing.

But Hunter's music has remained a favorite and we booked tickets for Tuesday's show (after much procrastination by me).  Weekday concerts are tough, especially Cafe Nine shows that start after 10PM, but the 7PM show times at the Iron Horse, even with the hour drive back from Northampton, get us home around ten.  Doable.  A seminar in Cromwell means a late start up I91, but we (again, Keith 'n Sharie; The Reet opts out, feeling out of sorts) arrive at the Center Street hole-in-the-wall around six, giving us time to get settle with some food and drink. We opt for a balcony table to the right of the stage and ordered some food (went for the black bean burritto) and drink (white wine for Sharie, Guinness for me and some unmanly brew for Keith).  Looks like a pretty full house.  But as the hour approaches seven, Keith comments that we'll never get started on time.

7PM SHOW TIME!  Right on the dot, as if to chuckle at the 2nd place-matching cards-guy in the balcony.  Dark sharkskin suit (who knows?) with dark, open collar shirt.  James is looking sharp, backed up with two saxes, keyboards, upright bass and a guy named Dave Mason on drums.  Keith is hoping for a Van the Man guest appearance.

Band name scrawled on bathroom wall- The The The Stutterers

No comments: