Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Allen Toussaint to play Village Vanguard...

I've listened to Allen Toussaint's music since my high school days in the 1960's, even though I had no idea who he was back then, with Ernie K-Doe's Mother-In-Law, Lee Dorsey's Working in a Coal Mine, Chris Kenner's I Like It Like That and many more, through the 1970's with Little Feat's On Your Way Down on the classic Dixie Chicken album and Robert Palmer's Sneaking Sally Through the Alley, until I finally discovered him for myself by sampling his albums from cutout bins. Been a big fan ever since, catching him lately at Jazz Fest in New Orleans. Since Katrina, he has relocated temporarily to NYC where he has played a series of Sunday Brunch shows at Joe's Pub in Manhattan, but I haven't been able to get The Reet and friends down there to see him.

Starting next Tuesday through Sunday (May 19-24), Toussaint will play a series of shows at the legendary Village Vanguard supporting his new jazz album The Bright Mississippi with The Bright Mississippi band: Don Byron, clarinet; Christian Scott, trumpet; Mark Ribot, guitar; David Pilch, bass; Jay Bellerose, drums. I've listened to it a couple times already. Very tasty. Hmmmmmm. Reet, what do you think? Anyone?

No comments: