Saturday, December 27, 2008

The sounds of Christmas (god dammit, how could he think I'd like this crap!)...

It's difficult when you don't write this stuff down, but here goes my attempt to summarize the music exchanges at this year's McGowan/Kennedy/Iverson Christmas Eve family get together. Let's start with what I finally selected to give:
  • Al Green - Lay It Down It's always risky when an old favorite becomes the critics' darling again (is he/she really good or just back from being crappy for a long time), so I took a bit of a chance on Al Green for Peter. But he was on so many "best of" lists that I took the bait. And guess what, I got one too! I'm happy, but is Peter? YouTube
  • The Hold Steady - Stay Positive Johnnyk loves the Hold Steady (especially 2006's Boys and Girls in America), so he wanted to spread the gospel to Ron. But does Ron believe? YouTube
  • The Kooks - Konk We find our music in all kinds of places here at johnnykmusic, even trashy celebrity gossip shows! Some E! reporter asks a 90210 chick what she's listening to on her iPod - the Kooks. We investigate and like them very much. Kind of Strokes, La's. AMG LOVED their "rubbishy garage rock." But does Kay? YouTube
  • Aimee Mann - @#%&*! Smilers - After successfully recommending Feist and Duffy to Carolyn, can I keep the streak alive? You Tube
  • Johnny Rivers/Bo Diddley/(2)Ike & Tina Turner - I was searching for Take Me to the River: A Southern Soul Story 1961-1977, a wonderful 75-song set of music, for Peter, but couldn't find it anywhere (of course, I waited too long to get it from amazon.com). As I looked around in FYE at the mall, I happened upon a section of used music. Hmmm, I already got him the new Al Green, so how about a 4-pack of really good, cheap stuff! (Love Johnny Rivers, but that doesn't make me a bad person!)
  • Lou Reed - New York What to get JFK, our resident political punkster - Lou's best solo effort. You Tube
  • Susan Tedeschi - Back to the River For Andy, it was Susan's latest. Who the hell is she married to, anyway? No, Andy, it is NOT Sean Penn's brother, it's this guy. But you're forgiven, because you pulled off the GREAT GRAB BAG FAKE LOTTO TICKET CAPER! You Tube
  • No comments: