Monday, January 29, 2007

Peter hates Rick at Redbones, loves Sleepy at Johnny D's....

Email from Peter re: Somerville Saturday night - Syracuse was up 15 on Louisville as I'm sitting at Redbones. I don't usually watch college basketball, but seeing Rick Pitino get embarrassed at home is just too good. Then Dez the bartender mentioned that Sleepy LaBeef was playing at Johnny D's. So I walked across Davis Square and paid the cover .....$5 off with your Brown School discount card. On the TV, 'Cuse is up 5. Said hi to the big man himself in the bar, but he's not on for another hour, so I went back to Redbones for another beer. Louisville on the line up 5 with 24 seconds left. That smug little weasel evaded justice.

I didn't think of the term rockabilly until I looked at Sleepy's web site, but that's the right word. He put on a great show. The place gets packed, people start dancing....Johnny D's is by far the best place I know to watch music in Boston. Sleepy is only 67, but I would have figured him for way older. I can remember seeing him at a country music bar in Boston ...Hillbilly Ranch I think... at least 30 years ago. There was a guy in a wheel chair near the stage...I think an old musician friend, Sleepy kept referring to him in his brief between songs talk....looked pretty sad to be honest. Anyway, the music was high energy, and I ended up staying until 1 dancing with a woman I met at the bar...a classic Cambridge encounter....she's a German math professor and country music fan.....and to continue the basketball theme, at a thin and athletic looking 6' 2," sort of a Dirk Nowitsky of the dance floor. It was fun...I slept til 9:30. Got tickets for Lucinda in Boston. Somebody should run for president on the "crush ticketmaster" ticket!

No comments: