Saturday, June 11, 2005

New music in the house

Latest discs to hit the Kennedy household:

  • Van Morrison Magic Time - AMG review (up) - Hartford Courant review (down)
    My kids' spin on Van is that "Moondance" was his best and he hasn't done anything close to that since. I, a HUGE Van lover, disagree, but my first listen to "Magic Time" makes me wish for more of the pop flavor of Moondance. It's not that the new songs are bad. In fact, most are quite good; but there is becoming a sameness to the delivery and the tempo that robs them of any sense of uniqueness. Still love ya, Van.

  • Lucinda Williams Live at the FillmoreAMG review
    I was skeptical of a 'live' Lucinda, primarily because her stage persona is as much visual as auditory. Perhaps I'm biased (no, I AM biased), but this CD really kicks ass. Her voice gives a harsher texture to each song, a different feel than the album versions; not better, not worse, REALLY good.; crank it up and enjoy!

  • the subdudes Annunciation AMG review
    Picked this one up in NOLA;

  • Jonathan Richman not so much to be loved as to love AMG review
    What can I say, I love the guy! Includes a remake of "Vincent Van Gogh" (he loved his colors and he let it show). Would love a rocker cut on here (circa "Roadrunner"), but I'm being picky.

  • White Stripes Get Behind Me Satan AMG review
    GDK gives this a thumbs up, JFK a thumbs down.
  • No comments: